iPhone Apps with AI (IOS1)
This course teaches students how to build iPhone Apps and complements the AI course series. Students can use what they learned in the AI series to build smart applications in Swift - the iPhone programming language, and use these learnings to build applications and to better understand data.
• Those who have taken AI Basics (M1) or High School AI Basics (H1)
• No previous Swift knowledge is necessary.
• Previous programming experience is useful but not mandatory.
• Introductory ML class with AIClub
Why choose AIClub?
• Designed by AI experts with PhDs in Computer Science!
• Only workshops where students build AIs in their first class! Students love building AIs and learning how they work!
We have no math or programming requirement. If they would like to code, they can do that also! Kids get interested and start building fun AI applications and also get motivated to learn programming, math and more STEM topics.
Please see our brochure for more info about our programs!
This course will introduce new students to Swift and reinforce core programming concepts (input/output, conditionals, loops, data structures etc.) for students with some prior programming experience. The students will combine their newfound Swift knowledge (and their past learnings of AI from AI Basics or other classes) to build a Swift based iPhone application for their project that uses an AI. The students will also learn:
• How to build an application from scratch in Swift that uses input, generates output and is able to call application programming interfaces (APIs).
• How to connect AIs to application code to build intelligent applications.
• How to create a GitHub repository and put their work there (this will be the start of an important programming skill of how to version their code).
The students will build a custom iPhone project in Swift and learn how to debug, test and present their final application in a demonstration.
What students will do:
• Learn or review core programming concepts and be able to write a functioning application in Swift.
• Learn how to connect a Swift application to an AI in the cloud (we will use the Amazon cloud) and how to connect an AI to any application they like using the REST protocol.
• Learn what an API (Application Programming Interface) is and how to use one.
For their custom project, they can build a Swift program entirely from scratch or customize one of the IPhone app templates that they will use during the class. They will connect it to one or more powerful AI services to create a game, an image recognition, or a sentiment analysis system.
• Hardware: Mac computer
• Software: Xcode 11
• (Preferred) iPhone or iPad with IOS13, plus a cable to connect iPhone/iPad to the Mac (Lightning to USB-C cable, or a USB-C “dock”)